Monday, January 5, 2015

Flowers for Jacinta

Ever notice that kids are relentlessly needy? For example within one hour this morning my 3 year old has needed an waffle, butter, syrup, juice, her hair up, TV on with me sitting next to her, hand lotion and lots of it, 3 band aids, her "ball, ball, ball," and a washcloth for her feet. Now she is rearranging the furniture because she needs to do a puzzle. Notice I don't make a distinction between wants and needs. That is because kids don't make that distinction and everything is a need. 

But in all honesty I'm grateful for this need, because when a child is dead they don't need a thing anymore. Morbid but true, and for some reason I really feel this absence of need.  

So as I grieve I tend to manufacture needs.  For example I perform random acts of kindness in Jacinta's name in January, I buy her an ornament each and every Christmas, and I always quietly say "bye baby" as we pass the cemetery on the way off our property.  And, just like any other girl, she periodically needs flowers. 

Jacinta needs these things, because far as I'm concerned, all children need tending to and mothers need to tend to all their kids. 

This year I have decided on two things I need to do for Jacinta.  The first is to make tons of flowers in her name, just because I love flowers and I think it would bring me joy to have lots and lots of them. 

Perhaps I'll make a some crazy ass garland or a wall hanging. I'm not sure yet, I just know I'll make flowers for Jacinta in the month of January. 

The second involves yarnbombing! But more of that in a separate post.

OK, now on to the flowers I've done so far.

1. The Maybelle Flower  This is one of the most popular flower patterns out there, probably because it is large, flat and perfect for a wide range of projects.  Annette at My Rose Valley has done some beautiful things with these babies.



2. Large Simple Flower - This one comes from a book I've had for quite some time but have not really used, 200 Crochet Flowers by Claire Crompton. This flower ends up not being very large but it is simple and very sweet.




3. Mini flower: These are just wonderful. With one small round they are quick so you can make lots and lots of them. These are made out of fingering weight wool but for an even teeny tinier version you could use thread.



4. 5 Petal Curved Edge Flower: This pattern is simple but has  neat curved edges which gives it a little extra pizzazz. 




5. Crochet Flower: This one could use a better name but it is a sweet pattern for a double layer flower.

Stay tuned for more flowers for Jacinta to come. 

1 comment: