Friday, December 12, 2014

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow crochet snowflakes

I've been obsessed with making snowflakes.  It all started innocently enough, I decided to make some for a festive garland I am putting together for a craft swap. Initially I intended to make about 6, but it just wasn't going to be that easy. The more I make the more I want to make. 

BE WARNED: Snowflakes are crochet crack and you may find yourself neglecting all your other responsibilities while furiously making these little guys. Proceed with caution.

I've decided to give my self over to the snowflake for a while - or until my family organizes an intervention. I feel compelled to indulge these craft obsessions when I am fortunate enough to be afflicted by them.

I mean, look at these things.  Swoon





I love them in rustic brown.  These are how I imagine Caroline Ingalls' snowflakes may have looked on the prairie. 


But then again how dope would a rainbow snowstorm be.



There are a tremendous amount of snowflake patterns but the absolute best resources is the Snowcatcher Snowflake Directory. Your welcome. This site is a gift indeed.

I tried many, many snowflakes and began to get overwhelmed (I get overwhelmed easily) so I decided to begin by picking 4 styles and making lots and lots of each one.



I used Knitpicks Palette yarn which is a beautiful fingering weight wool that comes in an amazing array of colors. But you could use cotton crochet thread which is what is traditionally used to make snowflakes. I guess you could also use a larger weight yarn as well. Experiment until you achieve the look you desire. 

The first one I became enamored with is Miki's Crafty Corner: Bold and Beautiful Snowflake. Simple, lovely and fun to make




Then the Red Heart Snowflake ornament stole my heart. Love this sweet little guy.




I developed this one myself while fiddling around trying to make a snowflake that resembled some cupcake sprinkles I have. 



Turns out there are lots and lots of patterns  like this out there, so I'm not quite the genius I thought I was, but this is how I made mine. 

Ch 6 and join
Round 1: Chain 6, ss in 4th chain from hook (one picot made); ch 5, ss into same ss as last picot; ch 3 ss in same ss again; ch 2 sc in ring (6 times). 





The last one I made in bulk was one inspired by this lovely photo I found on pinterest which unfortunately did not include a pattern for this specific snowflake. After spending a ridiculous amount of time searching for one I decided to wing it and I love the results.




This is how I made mine. 

Special stitches:
Beginning 4tr cluster:  Ch3, *YO twice, insert hook YO and pull through (YOand pull through 2 loops) twice, *repeat *to* twice more, YO pull through all 4 loops on hook

4tr cluster:  *YO twice, insert hook YO and pull through (YOand pull through 2 loops) twice,*  repeat *to* three more times, YO pull through all 5 loops on hook

Ch 6, join 
Round 1: Beginning 4tr cluster, ch 4; (4tr cluster, ch 4) 5 times; join with ss into top of beginning 4tr cluster.




Round 2: *Ch 3, ss into top of same 4tr cluster; ch 5, ss into top of same 4tr cluster, ch 3, ss into top of same 4tr cluster; ch 4, ss into next 4tr cluster;* repeat from *to* around ending with a slip stitch into first ss.






Thank you for stopping by Wooly Ana's for a visit!











2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I used a size B 2.25 mm hook but you could also use up to a size E 3.5 mm hook with fingering weight yarn. Hope this helps. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete