Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Jacinta Flower Hot Water Bottle Cover

Our little house in the big woods is sweet as hell and I love her to bits but she is also old, drafty and uninsulated. Also, propane is expensive, so needless to say, we like to find alternative ways of staying warm. Cuddling, layers, and drinking tea only helps so much so we rely heavily on hot water bottles here. 

This year I have decided to make a unique water bottle cover for each member of the family. I'm starting with myself, not because I am selfish or anything but because I need to make a test one.

This isn't really a tutorial, it's more of a brief description of what I did. 

I started with these beautiful brown Jacinta Flowers



Then I made them into squares.






I used Knit Picks palette yarn which is a fingering weight 100% wool with a B hook.


Here is where you will need to test your squares on the hot water bottle you are using. I have many and they are slightly different sizes. 

Once all your squares are made you can start attaching them. I used a classic join, the single crochet in the back loop only. Simple and neat.



I then crocheted a hdc border around each side, making it big enough to cover the entire hot water bottle. 






I ended up having to make an uneven border to get it to fit, but I'm perfecting it. Crafting is a process.



Then you can join each side. Again, I used the back loop only single crochet.


I left a gap on the bottom to accommodate little hang thingie on the bottom of some hot water bottles.


I continued to crochet the top and ended with a scalloped edge.




I finished off by attaching a cord and a couple of pom poms.  


I'm ready for the cold weather.















1 comment: